Posted by: resparish | June 30, 2010

Our Lady of Antipolo Celebration

Every year, the Diocesan Council of Filipino Catholics (DCFC) sponsors a 9-day novena, held at different churches in the diocese celebrating “Our Lady of Antipolo”.  This year the masses will be held from July 22 to 30, culminating in a mass/fiesta celebration at Church of the Resurrection, Saturday, July 31, at 11:00 am with a reception following in Farana Center.  Everyone is invited to honor this special representation of our Lady.

Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, as she is called, was proclaimed ”Patroness of the Galleons.” The statue crossed the Pacific Ocean six times and was “canonically crowned” on November 26, 1926, by the Most Rev. Michael J. O’Doherty, Archbishop of Manila, at Luneta, Manila, in the presence of thousands of devotees to the Blessed Virgin. During the Japanese occupation, the Virgin of Antipolo was evacuated to the mountains of Angono and Santolan until it was transferred to the Quiapo Church in Manila and stayed there until October 15, 1945, when it was finally transferred to its original and permanent sanctuary at the Church of Antipolo built by the Jesuits in a nearby barrio of Santa Cruz, specifically intended for the Virgin. Every year, devotees celebrate and commemorate this transfer with a procession known as the ”Alay Lakad.”  This procession starts from Quiapo Church at around 8:00 pm (30th of April), winding up at the National Shrine of Antipolo Cathedral around dawn of the following day (1st day of May).

The image was carved from a dark wood, the Mexican artists seeming to prefer that wood for their work.


Categories